Let us to tell you the history of the little chapels of the Badacsony region…
Badacsonylábdihegy, Chapel of St. Ignatius
The present neo-classical chapel with a front garden on Római Road in Tördemic was built between 1847-50 by lord Károly Eszterházy with the consent of the vineyard owners. It was consecrated on July 31, 1850 in honor of St. Ignatius. The small church has a single-nave, semicircular sanctuary with a single onion-shaped canopy tower.
In his sanctuary, a baroque altar, above the entrance on the west side, has a gallery, which is supported by tympanum columns along the corridor between the two benches. The mass is held in the chapel in the summer. The chapel is currently a branch of the Badacsonytördemic Parish.
Badacsony, St. Anne’s Chapel
The foundation stone of the chapel was laid by Imre Parraghy parish priest in Szentbékkállai on 9 November 1789. Its builder is Zsigmond Horváth Szentgyörgyi, who was a landowner in Balatonfüred, whose name is associated with the first Anna ball held in 1825 (a traditional celebration, which is still held annually). Zsigmond Horváth’s wife and two grandchildren also used the name Anna, so it’s no wonder that the chapel he built was dedicated to St. Anna. Today, Saturday afternoon closest to Anna’s Day, the chapel’s feast day, is held. The chapel belongs to the Badacsonytomaj parish. The chapel can be found on the small street from the Római road to the hill. Easy access by car, bicycle and on foot.
Badacsony, Chapel of St. Donat
On October 13, 1772, farmer József Thauhoffer deposited HUF 100 and HUF 40, respectively, for the construction and maintenance of St. Donat’s chapel in Badacsony. The chapel among the vineyards of Badacsony was consecrated six years later in 1778. The chapel was built of basalt of Badacsony, the altar is made of white marble Carrara. Famous Badacsony and Badacsony-related personalities are buried in the chapel’s lower church, including former parish priests, university professors, and the chapel builder, Laczkovicz, and his wife. Mass is regularly held in the chapel during the summer.
The chapel is located in Badacsony at the corner of Római Road and Chapel (Kápolna) Street; the easiest way to get there is the street leading up from the Badacsony train station.
Badacsonyörs, Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua
The inhabitants of Kisörs built a chapel on Kisörs Hill in 1816, which was dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. At that time, it had not yet been built on a tower and bell: the former had to wait seventy years, the latter more than a hundred years. The chapel is celebrated on St. Anthony’s Day (June 13) and on the Sunday before or after, but there is a mass in the summer. Branch of the Badacsonytomaj parish.How to get there: From the Badacsonyörs railway station up the Grape (Szőlő) street.
Szigliget, Szentháromság – kápolna
In 1845, winemakers began the construction of a neoclassical chapel, completed by 1847 and dedicated to the Trinity. The façade of the small church with white walls is closed in tympanum, its temple is semi-circular, and its bell is in its tower. In front of the chapel is one of the most famous limestone crosses of the settlement, which is wreathed in honor of soldiers who died in World War II. Next to it is the memorial to the soldiers who died in the nearby B-24 heavy-duty bombing crash on June 30, 1944. It can be reached in the center of a village, starting from the building on Kossuth Street towards Badacsony, then on Réhely Street in Külsőhegyi and Rókarántói Street. It is easy to access by car or bicycle.